Java Stain & Finish
Java Stain & Finish is a combination of superior penetrating linseed oil and all natural earth pigments. In addition to giving the wood artistic coloration, the stains will also protect the surface and highlight the grains and natural look of the wood. These are perfect for all interior wood working projects, including tables and furniture, cutting boards, butcher’s block, children’s toys, cribs, etc.
All Tried & True products are 100% solvent free, zero VOC, and safe for food and skin contact.
Java Stain & Finish Application Instructions
For all INTERIOR woodworking
- Stir the container to make sure to re-disperse any of the pigments that have fallen out of suspension.
- Apply a very thin coat across entire piece with a lint-free cloth at room temperature. DO NOT USE A BRUSH! A dry to wet color change in the wood should occur, but at no point should there be any puddling. A little bit of finish will go a long way!
- Allow Stain & Finish to penetrate the wood for a minimum of 5 minutes.
- Rub in briskly with a lint-free cloth until the surface is completely dry. DO THIS BEFORE YOU LET THE PIECE CURE! Drying/curing issues will occur if this step is ignored!
- Allow the piece to cure for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Burnish with a soft cloth or 0000 steel wool BEFORE EVERY COAT (even the first and last.) The more you rub the surface, the better the sheen will look.
Additional coats will deepen color and increase protection. We recommend at least two coats to achieve the desired look. Any of our Tried & True finishes can be applied over top of our stains for added protection!
- Care & Maintenance: Use a soft shammy cloth to polish any dull areas. Clean using Murphy’s Oil Soap or other wood safe cleaners.
- To repair any scratches, nicks, or water marks: Use 0000 grade steel wool to buff out as much of the affected area as possible. Then, use a lint-free cloth to apply a small amount of the Stain & Finish to the damage wood. Follow the normal recommended application directions. For watermarks — if damage is severe, sand water mark away using fine grit sand paper until it is smooth and even with the surrounding surface. Reapply the Stain & Finish to the water mark by following the normal recommended application directions. Remember to always protect the wood surface using coasters or anti-scalding devices.
Coverage rate: Up to 1000 square feet per gallon
Available in: Pints, Quarts and Gallons.
How to Choose the Right Stain Color
When choosing a stain color, it is very important to consider the natural color tones of the wood and use basic color theory. This will directly impact the appearance of the stain. For example, if you are working with a piece of Red Oak, it’s a much better choice to apply the Cherry Stain versus using something like the Golden Oak. The Cherry will bring out the natural red and purple tones of the red oak while the Golden Oak will make the wood appear orange (red + yellow = orange).
EXAMPLE OF JAVA STAIN